Check for a permit, licence or exemption (Public Register)

Coronavirus update

Our staff are now home working wherever possible. This means we can't accept paper application forms at this time. You will be able to submit forms via email.

You will need Microsoft Word 2010 or equivalent to be able to use the electronic forms.

Whilst we hope to keep disruption to a minimum, please be aware there may be a longer processing time during this period of transition.

Find out more about our response to coronavirus.


We issue permits, licences and exemptions for industry, business and individuals to carry out certain activities that have the potential to pollute or harm the environment. For a number of activities the legislation specifies that a Public Register must be made available.

Waste carriers, brokers and dealers

If you arrange for waste to be collected from your business or home, you should check that the business collecting it is registered as a carrier.

A registration with the regulators in Wales (NRW), England (Environment Agency), or Scotland (SEPA) is valid in any of these three countries. Check with your carrier to see where they are registered. 

You do not need printed proof of carrier registration.

Search the waste carriers, brokers and dealers public register.

Online public register

Search for and download application and compliance documents for waste, water quality and regulated industry environmental permits, water resources licences and Marine licences. 

You may need to download software applications to view certain documents on our on-line system – for example, if your email system isn’t compatible with Outlook. If you don’t want to do this, or if need a document in a different or more accessible format, please contact us.

To see public register documents created after 1 September 2018, access the online public register now.

To see public register documents from before 1 September 2018, use our request permit information process.

For information on waste only permits, you can also look at our waste permit map.

Waste, water quality, water resources and installation permits

See details of all current Waste, Water Quality, Water Resources and Installation Permits issued in Wales.

View the Waste, Water Quality, Water Resources and Installations public register

Waste and water quality exemptions

See the details of all the waste and water quality exemptions registered in Wales on the public register:

View the waste and water quality exemptions public register

Hazardous waste producer registrations

See details of all the Hazardous Waste Producer registrations in Wales on the Public Register.

View the Hazardous Waste Producer public register

Authorised treatment facilities for end-of-life vehicles 

See the spreadsheet below for the NRW public register of Authorised treatment facilities for end-of-life vehicles (ELVs).

Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Approved Authorised Treatment Facility (AATF) and Approved Exporter (AE)

View the spreadsheet for the NRW public register of WEEE AATFs and AEs.

Scrap metal dealers

See the scrap metal dealer spreadsheet for the NRW public register of scrap metal dealers in Wales.

Information about scrap metal dealers on our public register comes directly from Local Authorities, who are responsible for the accuracy of their data.

NRW only host the register, therefore if you have any queries concerning a licence, please contact your Local Authority.

Trees, woodland and forestry

Applications for tree felling

We publish details of proposed felling licences for a minimum of four weeks. During this period you can view and comment on the proposals. 

View register for felling

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)

Under the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) (Forestry) Regulations 1999 we must show the decisions we make about whether proposals will have a significant effect on the environment.

View Environmental Impact Assessment for forestry register

Forest Resource Plans (FRP)

Find details of how we approve tree felling on the Welsh Government Woodland Estate through Forest Resource Plans (FRP). This allows us to demonstrate an equivalent level of regulation on WGWE.

View Forest Resource Plan register

Further public register information and the Permitting Publication Scheme

If you cannot access the information that you need from the links above you can contact the enquires team who will be able to advise you if the information that you require is available and how to access it.

The Natural Resources Wales Permitting Publication Scheme aims to make available information about permit applications and decisions. The document contains details of what information is available for all the permitting regimes Natural Resources Wales is responsible for.

You can find out if a company or individual has a permit, licence or exemption to operate legally for any of the activities we regulate by contacting the enquiries team.


Phone: 0300 065 3000 (Mon - Friday 9am - 5pm)

Related document downloads

Scrap Metal Dealers EXCEL [243.8 KB]
Last updated